November 12, 1964, Thursday. Pearl and I saw an ad in the paper about actors wanted and went to an audition. The man seemed very impressed with me. I got all A’s on the test. He could tell I’ve had speech training. We stayed for a second test, then he asked us to come back on Saturday. If we pass the test on Saturday, we could work on any movie set in Hollywood. We had to memorize a script and be tested on a TV set. I was so excited, but Mom was skeptical about it being a racket, because if they accept you, you sign a 7 year contract paying them $5.00 a week for an agent. Since Culver City was the Mega Studio Capital of the world in 1964, with MGM Studios, RKO Pictures, and Desilu Studios, practically down the street from our High School, everyone hoped they might be discovered by a talent scout… like Lana Turner, sitting on a stool at the counter at Schwab’s Pharmacy. At least I know I hoped so, but until then, I would audition for everything that came my way. Including the Senior Play, Home Sweet Homicide… Be sure to visit my Maybelline Book Blog at http://www.maybellinebook.com/
- New Years Eve party turned into a nightmare that lasted until 5 in the morning
- Planning a New Years Eve Party at my house tomorrow night!
- Nana reminds me of Endora the Witch, from the TV show Bewitched!
- My mother wore the famous “Scandal Suit,” while I preferred a black fringe bikini
- Why does Nana have to be so terrible to my Mom, it makes me sad!
- 32,904 hits
The Maybelline Story and the Spirited Family Dynasty Behind It.
Top Posts & Pages